Old Nov 7, 18, 1:44 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK, allow me to put in "one of those posts".

I think we can gently disagree as to how prepared one should or should not be for life's mishaps, but it's not great to get too personal with some of the lines of argument shown above, some of which are borderline goading. We've only heard indirectly from one passenger group affected and a lot of non specific conjectures are being thrown around here, the value of which I would question. In a sense it's side argument, where this forum hopefully does a collectively good job is providing advice to travellers on what to do next, no matter where there are on the frequent flyer scale. Perhaps it's best to focus on the specifics of this event? Even though we actually haven't heard yet from someone who was on these flights.

Specifically the Article 7 compensation tends to be an "after event" customer remedy whereas food, drink and hotels are what is needed upfront. But most of all communication, and as far as I can see BA gave up to 4 separate letters (Orlando, Orlando hotel, New York, Gatwick) to the customers concerned as their unfortunate experience dragged on. Plus the probably unhappy experiences with staff in MCO and JFK.

Incidentally my reading on the situation is that BA were not under an EC261 obligation to provided hotel accommodation in New York - just telephone calls, food and drink. They were obliged to provide accomodation in Orlando, and to offer re-routing options.