FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendation for Kruger NP day visit
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:39 am
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The big unknown here is the weather. When planning game drives, rainfall and temperature are major considerations.

In an average years, December will be hot, humid and at times rainy.

The basic rule of thumb is to start as early as possible, especially if a hot day is forecast. In December the park entrance gate will open at 5.30 a.m. By that time, those staying in Crocodile Bridge rest camp will already have a one hour head-start, as camp gates open at 4.30.

Depending on how many vehicles are ahead of you and how long it takes to complete formalities, you should be through the gate in 15 - 30 minutes. Sunrise is just before 5 a.m., so it will be light by the time you start your game drive.

From Crocodile Bridge you have three options:

1. Head straight up the H4-2 tar road towards Lower Sabie.

2. Take the S28 loop along the Lebombo Mountains towards Lower Sabie

3. Head west on the S25 along the Crocodile River towards Malelane

I can't tell you in advance what the best choice will be, it's the kind of decision I would make on the morning itself.

A couple of pointers:

- if it is raining, or wet after plentiful rain, the tar road is probably your best bet. Even if the gravel roads haven't been closed, sticking to the tar makes for easier driving. The bush along this road is mostly thick or very thick, but rain may drive animals out on the road. They don't like moving through wet vegetation.

- if it is dry, and there has not been enough rain in preceding days to fill pans and wallows, then the S25 river road is the obvious choice. Animals move to and from the river to drink, and cross the road in the process. The road also passes through half a dozen eco zones, so the landscape varies a lot.

- the S28 is definitely a clear skies road. Two or three decades ago the landscape was very open, larger animals such as elphants, rhinos and buffaloes could be spotted from several miles away. Since then there's been a lot of bush encroachment, making animals harder to spot. This road would not be my first choice unless I had very good reason, e.g. a confirmed lion kill right next to the road.

In all three instances it is possible to return to Crocodile Bridge by a different route in time for lunch. Should you wish to make it a day drive, there are further options.

Johan