FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hints for first time visitors to Japan
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:54 pm
freecia

The addressing system is a little easier to understand if you start with good paper maps like Tokyo City Altas
Amazon Amazon
than Google Maps as Google doesn't show block numbering.
https://www.tofugu.com/japan/japanese-address-system/

Google Maps with street view & satellite view works pretty well for walking navigation if you have the time to research it in advance. Subway and train stations usually have maps by the exits showing the major sights and buildings so you know which way to turn. If you're looking for something in a city, don't forget to look up and down as restaurants and shops aren't always on the ground floor.

Realistically, Google Maps takes care of pedestrian navigation in Japan pretty decently these days. I only use a full Japanese address when addressing things like luggage delivery and even then, I get the hotel clerk to write it in Japanese because my handwriting is somewhat illegible in Japanese & only a bit better in English with cramped forms. Car navigation is by phone number or map code when using the "navi"/car gps. I use Navitime's JP website if I need bus stops as they're much clearer on exact bus stop locations and integrate more local bus schedules + fares. Most first time visitors probably won't need bus navigation through the countryside, though, and if they did, I'm sure the local tourism bureau or ryokan would try to help via e-mail in advance.