FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice: Platinum Premier leaving Marriott. How to make the most of the move?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:47 pm
Time traveller

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by BCH
Hi fellow FTers.

I have decided that being loyal to the new Marriott is not worth it any more - all ongoing post-merger account mishaps combined with poor customer service are just too much.

I need advice from those of you who've done the same already on how to assess the competitors' options and how to make the most of my transition.

Here's my situation. I'm a MR (former SPG) Lifetime Plat, with 735 lifetime nights. I'm currently Plat Premier (and have been SPG 75 since that rolled out). I stay just about 75-80 nights per year - mostly in major cities that have all the major chains present. For work, I stay in the likes of Sheraton, Westin, Marriott (sometimes lower brands). For leisure, we stay at the likes of the W, Le Meridien, Luxury Collection, et al. On all stays, my most valued perk is breakfast. And on leisure stays, my favorite perk is suite upgrade.

Thanks much for any advice you may provide, warriors.

BCH
It depends on where you travel to - North America, Europe, Asia, elsewhere?

At the moment, Hilton Diamond is easiest to reach with only 30 stays required a year. If you are US-based, Amex credit cards can easily get you Hilton Gold or Diamond status as well. At most Hilton-family hotels, Honors Gold will get you lounge access, although it is not guaranteed and some hotels will follow the rules and only grant access if you are upgraded to an Executive level room. Diamond is where the upgrades are better. However as with Marriott/SPG PLT/PP, the upgrades vary considerably between properties.

With Hyatt, the 60 night/year for top elite status change has become a hurdle for many former Hyatt elites who qualified solely on numbers of stays. But the 4 suite upgrades per year upon reaching 60 nights and an extra suite upgrade cert for every 10 nights after 60 nights can be a nice perk if you are looking for guaranteed suite upgrade in advance. Some of the Hyatt suites are quite nice and others are so-so (with just an adjacent adjoining room attached). But as others have said, the number of Hyatts in your travel destination will determine if this hotel program meets your need.