FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tenth Anniversary of DL/NW merger
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:23 pm
ND76

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ten years ago, few aircraft had true flat bed seats. SQ did in FC on their 747, but business class on SQ at the time was slanted seats, in a 2-3-2 configuration. LH was the same, with those same seats in the 2-2-2 configuration even on their A380s at least a few years later.
10 years ago I was able to cash 95,000 Delta miles and fly IAD-DTW-AMS eastbound, and EDI-CDG-IAD westbound (taking an overnight ferry from Ijmuiden, Netherlands to the Port of Tyne, near Newcastle, UK, to fill the "open jaw), in business class. I sat in the upper deck of the NW 747 out of DTW. The seating was "angled lie flat", with more recline than the Delta seating in Business Elite at the time. It was a great trip.

I really like DTW, MSP and AMS as hubs. I think the DL staff in MSP is a bit nicer than their staff in DTW; I don't know why this is. I grew up in Michigan (although about 175 miles northwest of DTW). I like the self-serve bars in the former NW World Clubs (with the exception of the F club in MSP, which is bartender serve).

I think this merger really cemented Delta as a nationwide airline; now if they can fix their dearth of service in Texas.