FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:05 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by msg75
Is this correct? So if I'm seated when they call for 1K pre-boarding (instead of milling around ready to pounce, which kind of defeats the purpose), and they quickly call Group 1 as I'm walking up, it's "too bad, you snooze you loose 1K!" and I should proceed to do a walk of shame to the back of the Group 1 line? And are you saying this applies to GS as well?
I've seen some families (after being invited to pre-board) finally get to gate struggling w/ spawn under 2 and associated gear only to find BG1 boarding. GA will let them board amidst BG1. As for everyone else in pre-board group, I'd just just board w/ BG1.

As for "instead of milling around ready to pounce, which kind of defeats the purpose", 1Ks really can be seated until the jetway door is opened - that's the clue to get in gear if you want to exercise your pre-boarding right. Some in the BG1 group will have been lined up for a significant amount of time before that. Infrequent travelers on "a trip of a lifetime" in F will often do that. I've seen some stand in BG1 for a half-hour or more in Hawaii (even before the crew shows up).