FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - upgrade procedure AC33 YYZ-SYD vs. YVR-SYD vs. YYZ-YVR
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:27 pm
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
I hope I'm not missing something here but when u try and upgrade using eupgrades on this itin I'm guessing your entire flight by segment appears. YYZ-YVR and then YVR-SYD with a confirmation or waitlist. I tried to upgrade our SCL-YYZ-YVR from O to P last week and the YYZ-YVR was confirmed immediately (to my great surprise!) but we are waitlisted from SCL-YYZ. Ideally if I had to choose between a 10.5hr flight in SS or a 5.5hr, then the the first one would be preferable to me. Have u been given this choice or is it the fact that the 33 is a 2 sector, same aircraft, service which doesn't give u that option?
(bolding mine)

Exactly that. If you're booked on AC33 YYZ(-YVR)-SYD, you're only given the option to request an upgrade for the entire YYZ-SYD leg.

But that's only an issue if J YVR-SYD >> J YYZ-SYD.

The much more interesting question IMO is whether there are indeed three different upgrade lists and how they are related to each other.

E.g.

1) Would an E50K trying to upgrade from Flex to J on AC33 YYZ-SYD trump a SE trying to upgrade from PE to J YYZ-YVR (which would presumably be the case if AC processes the YYZ-SYD upgrade list before the YYZ-YVR upgrade list, as suggested above)?
2) Does AC process everyone on the waitlist for AC33 YYZ-SYD, thereby decreasing the odds of an upgrade for those ex-YVR to next to zero? Or does it "manually" hold back some J seats on YVR-SYD and as a result gives preference to some pax trying to upgrade YYZ-YVR only vs. YYZ-SYD?