FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Agoda booking - paid and confirmed, yet hotel was closed
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:16 pm
seavisionburma

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Agoda booking - paid and confirmed, yet hotel was closed

I'll start gently here, as I am in the third round of emails with Agoda.

Booked a hotel through my Agoda account for a property near Colombo Airport, Sri Lanka

Long story?
For my elderly female relative (76 years old), travelling with her severely disabled son who requires full time care. They were travelling by road in NE Sri Lanka down to Negombo Friday 2nd November, so they could overnight near CMB and take flights the next morning CMB-SIN-HKT arriving yesterday 3rd evening.
Travel needs to be broken up for both of them for obvious reasons, so an overnight near the airport was a necessity after a 4-5 hours journey by road on Friday

I searched and found a suitable property nearby CMB airport on Agoda, reviews were good, location good, and the 2 rooms were available. Booked and paid on their behalf by credit card with the confirmation received.

On the way to Negombo their driver tried to call the number on the booking confirmation many times to get directions, no answer (provided by Agoda)
When they arrived on Friday afternoon, they found the property had been closed for some months (renovations) after some considerable time driving around.

I called Agoda customer service - the service rep was excellent and articulate - he told me he would try to contact the property by email.
He called back later to say the hotel had closed for renovations.

He said there would be an immediate refund for the room cost, plus a 10% credit voucher, to be credited to my account. I asked if the room could be instead refunded to the original credit card used to make the booking, but was told this was not an option.

I found them a new hotel nearby. (I was on the phone from Thailand, they were in Sri Lanka)

I received a cursory proforma reponse from Agoda last night saying they were not responsible for the error (dismissing it as the property fault)

Needless to say the person I had booked the room for (see above) was distressed

The automatic compensation (by way of a gift card)?
$7.78

I responded today and requested escalation.
Their reply was abysmal and dismissive

Please be informed that hotels are in charge of opening and closing sales in our website, unfortunately this property did not advise us.
I would like to inform you that this case was already escalated to Partner Services and they will take actions with the property.
I have a full record of the correspondence so far.

Any thoughts? I'll post everything in full if the next round of correspondence continues in the same direction