FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:41 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lavajava
Seems some family members will get a contribution to their US shopping bill.
I was curious enough to have a look this morning.

BA2037 LGW-MCO on 1 November was operated by G-VIIR. The aircraft should have operated BA2036 MCO-LGW on 1 November, but that flight was delayed (see above).

The aircraft left MCO just before 0100 on 3 November as BA9601. It got to about Charleston, made a U-turn, and then another one when it was back near Savannah, before continuing northbound and diverting to JFK. EF says "aircraft forced to return" and also seems to say for this flight that the diversion to JFK was for "aircraft defects". I can't tell whether the aircraft had paying passengers on board.

The aircraft had been planned to operate BA2273 LGW-JFK today, but that has been cancelled "tech". We will have to see whether the aircraft is seriously sick, or whether it can be repaired in time so that the aircraft can pick up the schedule again by operating tonight's BA2272 JFK-LGW on time.

I suppose that one possible benefit of the diversion to JFK, if there are passengers on board, is that it could be relatively easy to transfer them to other aircraft to get back to London.

Possibly a bit of a nightmare, though, for any people who had planned to be back in London on the morning of 2 November and might not now get back until after an overnight flight tonight.