FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Autumn Road Trip
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:06 am
Deezeer

Autumn Road Trip

Hi everyone,

I know I am very early. But I am a bit of a fanatic trip planer and love to make plans ahead of time. At the moment I read the autumn reports on Japan Guide carefully and came up with a rough plan for a 12 day trip next year.

I would love your feedback, especially regarding the amount of travel per day, choice of areas and most importantly feedback if the timing is right to make the most of the beautiful autumn colors.

Trip would be by car to be flexible in exploring the nature. Focus is on hiking and enjoying the countryside rather then the big city’s.

Day 1: Arrival in Tokio
Day 2: Drive to Ashinomaki
Day 3: Hiking in Aizuwakamatsu / Urabandai
Day 4: Drive to Minakami (Prefecture Gunma, Stay at the Hoshi Onsen Chojukan)
Day 5: Hiking on Mt Tanigawa
Day 6: Drive to Kanazawa
Day 7: Kanazawa
Day 8: Drive to Fuji / 5 Lakes Area
Day 9: 5 Lakes
Day 10: Drive to Tokyo
Day 11: Tokyo
Day 12: Departure

The right timing seems to be a bit tricky. The Aizuwakamatsu / Urabandai area demands a relatively early visit compared to Kanazawa and Fuj/ 5 Lakes. I think starting the trip between the middle and the end of October would be the best compromise. Do you agree?

The trip consists a fair amount of travel, between 200 to 400km (125-250miles) every second day. I thought of maybe skipping the Aizuwakamatsu / Urabandai area instead of something close to Minakami (but probably not as remote as the Hoshi Onsen Chojukan) where we could spend four days for example, to explore the area. Any ideas?

Any feedback and ideas are more then welcome! Thanks :-)