FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Toronto - Mumbai route ending
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:09 pm
yulred

Originally Posted by sram
9W sells and markets the YYZ-AMS route in conjunction with KLM and DL. They don't need the plane full to BOM to make money and they sell seats to AMS. The 77W has the legs to fly non-stop (7900 miles), but why would you? The India market is use to multi-stop itineraries. I prefer nonstop so you can get in 8PM-10PM local time. EU stop-overs get you in the next morning (1 AM- 4 AM). But I'm not your typical consumer as I'm willing to spend $400 to do that, most people to BOM are not.
Personally, I prefer the early AM arrivals. I find it difficult to sleep from 3 pm to 10 pm EST, so the first night amounts to little more than sitting around, doing nothing and waking for everyone else to wake up.

I've done the YYZ DEL flight twice in my life. Once on the 343 in Y and once in the 787 in PY. Its not for me. The 787 PY seat is fine for that length, but the catering was terrible and the PY cabin was freezing - the flimsy blanket wasn't enough. Soon became apparent why - walk 20-30 feet back into Y, and its notably hotter. The crew did their best, but there's only so much they can do.

I'm back to doing TK J (days permitting), AC/LH and LH only PY one stops. I doubt I'm the only one. The direct flight is fine if you travel once in a few years. But the possibility of stretching your legs/showering en route is far more appealing in Y and PY. I'd pay a premium to avoid the direct flight, haha.