FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swearing passenger ruined first F
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:55 pm
newyorklondon

Sorry, OP, that sounds a bit miserable. Good to vent, though. We fly a lot with our one-year old. Amazingly, he's been mostly quiet on many, many flights in all cabins.

We've still had all kinds of comments, most amusingly, a drunk bloke (why is it always men, by the way?) in 4A of a BA 747 F cabin who shouted, "A baby? A f*cking baby? F*ck, f*ck, F*CK NOOOO!" as we walked on with our sleeping then-six-month old. I said something like, "I'm terribly sorry, but they said we couldn't put him in the hold." He (the swearing man) was fine after that, if comatose.

You'll laugh about it in time, I hope, as we have done, and I very much hope you won't remember your first First as being ruined.

Equally, though, we've had very many positive and kind comments from pax. Those can get forgotten when you end up in a nasty situation like the one you describe. Most passengers really do have a lot of goodwill toward infants.

And of course I am also that solo traveler, slightly freaking out when I see a family with a young baby get on board, and I'm desperate for some sleep. But, that's when Mr & Mrs Bose come to the rescue.

Anyway, I'm really sorry. It's a thorny issue, and I can see you're upset. Give it a few days, and I hope it really does become as insignificant as the "infants occasionally make noise, adults occasionally lose control and swear" mantra you've seen mentioned a few times in this thread.

From personal experience, please don't for one second let this put you off your next trip in F with your young family. Or, to put it another way: "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sheer Look of Terror in the Faces of Other Passengers when I Enter Premium Cabins with my Infant-in-Arms."

Last edited by newyorklondon; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:22 pm