FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:02 am
joejones

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by jrl767
9A: Sacramento to Phoenix ... who wants to take the only nonstop when it's a Hughes Airwest DC-9? Not you. Lots of turboprops ply the California skies, along with a few stray piston-powered Cessnas. If you start with a short jet hop at 0650PST, you can then take four different turboprops and a Cessna, and end up in PHX at 2015MST. Identify, in sequence of course, the six segments, airlines, and aircraft types. (There are doubtless several permutations of this journey, but the one in question has no significant north-south backtracking (it does, however, go to the CA coast before heading south and then east) and covers approximately 835 miles. It is also a weekday-only proposition.)
HINTS, with some additions:
(1)
the third airline (i.e., the second turboprop aircraft) and connecting point -- which is the westernmost point on the route -- have been discussed recently (this is the longest leg of the journey); not all the aircraft have the same number of engines
(2) the first two stops are in the Bay Area
(3) the third stop is the westernmost point on the route
(4) the fifth stop is the southernmost point on the route
Looking at an old OAG, I think the first hop has to be PSA SMF-SFO on a 727-200, but that would make SFO the westernmost point on the route unless you go significantly north... are you sure that all of the hints are correct?