Old Oct 31, 18, 8:47 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jpdx View Post
I've seen this claim advanced by you and others repeatedly, but there must have been a way for Starwood properties to see the correct status. Looking at pictures I took of welcome amenities/letters (geeky, I know!), I was first recognized as Platinum Premier Elite by LC Balkan in late August and Sheraton Macau in early September. Since then, it's been done correctly in Thailand, Indonesia, and Hong Kong. OTOH, nothing at two European Courtyards, and JW Singapore greeted me as "lifetime Platinum."

IMO, the problem here is that there are simply too many elite levels, and names are too similar -- it's hard for your average front desk person to make sense of it (and perhaps your average guest, raises hand). IMO proper elite recognition is likely to (generally) work just fine at better hotels, properties in Asia/EU, and those that have significant resources dedicated to this kind of thing, but not so well at places like 4P/Element, as well as probably 90% of all hotels in the US (which simply don't care).
None of the systems show lifetime status that I know of so that wouldn't be shown.

But ... in October I've stayed a an LC, two Sheratons, a Westin, and a W. All thanked me for being a Plat. I asked at the Sheraton and they said they didn't know what a Plat Premier was. The Westin said they didn't have that information. The W told me they thought they had that information somewhere but it wasn't shared with the front desk.

In any event, that will soon be old news. The hotels will have the information and it will be up to the GM whether he/she cares enough to train their people and drive repeat business. In my experience, that's a higher priority outside the US.