FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wondering why SQ Flights ex WLG are not included as NZ Codeshare?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:13 pm
sbiddle

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Ellice
Thanks for that info and end date. Still a wee way off finishing if it's 2026. Interesting the arrangement. I'm not complaining! I can see why it was done by WCC, to try and open Welly up to new markets since the runway extension may or may not happen and give Wellingtonians options other than Air NZ and having to fly via AKL which is a PITA sometimes. Has worked for us. I always check SQ site now as there have been some very good deals long haul deals out of Wellington especially during the quiet months, on SQ.
I can't disagree more with the subsidy - mostly because of the way it was hidden from taxpayers.

I don't have an issue with subsidies but they need to follow proper process. Secret deals where money is handed over with no paper trail and no measurable ROI are not how business should be done.

I also don't think you can argue the subsidy "has worked for us". SQ begged both WLG and CBR for subsidies (both are paying them) for the route, and SQ have basically done the dirty on both cities by changing the original schedule and flights at both CBR and WLG and have continued to deliver an inferior hard product despite insisting that aircraft upgrades would occur.

I'd quite happily give anybody else my money over SQ.