FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:37 pm
goldenbear

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
While vague, the answer is no, in contracts the additional terms in the same section are universally adding conditions to the sections.
Anyone know if this language is new since the combine? I've been MR Plat for 10+ years now and honestly can't say I'd read through the rules with a fine tooth comb. No idea what SPG offered in the past.

But it sure sounds like a sham guarantee - this isn't just wiggle room, but a gaping big loophole.

Seems like a property could cancel any reservation they want if it's more profitable for them to do so.

Still quite possible that in this case it was bad IT, but
​​OP, I'm curious if you noticed what the room rate was when you booked on points. Obviously it was a high demand night. Did you by chance happen to check inventory after they cancelled?

I'm not saying every hotel is going to be a bad actor, but just that you can't discount it... And the reservation guarantee doesn't seem to protect against it.

In general, allowing a hotel to just cancel reservations could promote situations as simple as sellling a room block to a higher dollar client, then cancelling reservations of those who are staying at a lower rate or for one night. (That I know has happened to collegues before, with those of us with higher status having our reservations honored).

​​​​​
"Your reservation is guaranteed, except when we decide to cancel it at any time we feel like."