FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:48 am
jumpallover

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by nikolask
Welcome to the forum, jumpallover!

So here is the situation: In order to reach A3 Gold status you need in total 6 Aegean flights (2 for Silver, 4 for Gold) and 36k tier miles (12k for Silver and 24k for gold).
I'm not sure what you mean with "redeem flights" - I'm guessing crediting flights to your account? Your thinking is not exactly correct since this is not how the miles system works. Regardless of when you credit the flights to your Aegean account, the important factor here is the flight date. You can retro-credit flights that you took in the last 6 months but they get credited for that exact date.

Either way, miles from Silver to Gold do carry over within Aegean's M+B program, so you can credit all your flights whenever you want and that wouldn't make a difference. Miles do not carry over from Gold to your requalification for Gold though. So in case you take 7 flights that bring you 23.500 miles and you need 500 miles to Gold, a last flight of 2.000 miles will all count towards Gold and the 1.500 will only get credited as award miles.

Also please keep in mind that Miles & More numbers tend to be really sticky, meaning that once they are in your booking and even if you remove them, the flight might still be credited to your Miles&More account. I've had luck with a similar situation in the past where I decided to swap the FF numbers in a booking, but I wanted you to know this.

I hope this could clear things up for you!
Wow, thanks! This makes everything clearer.
So the idea at this point would be to book a roundtrip flight with Aegeans *before* the first of the 8 flights in order to have just the first 12k miles credited correctly for Silver and then carry the remaining ones for the quest for Gold.
However, if the "switchin issue" is valid in my case I would basically end up with no miles in the M+B account, that would be terrible.
If instead of removing the FF number I switch it to the M+B one it should work, right? Because maybe if you remove it the original one of the booking stays somehow in memory but I guess that if you replace it with a totally different one it should force the change. Any suggestion on this? Should I call the airline and ask? Thank you so much!

OK in its original sense: all correct! I just wanted to emphasise, though, the stickiness of the M&M miles registered with LH tickets (220.... tickets; I'm not certain this is a general M&M or a LH problem) at the time of booking and FT is full of examples of that. I'm one of those who went through a long series of emails and phone calls several years ago before I finally gave up!
Is this related to a LH ticket? What happens with other carriers like AC/LO?