FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:35 pm
ursine1

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What he was saying was the age of the vehicle doesn't matter if the owners don't take care of it.
Oh, I understood completely what he was saying.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that perhaps there is a difference in the amount of "taking care of it" needed for an aircraft that's been around a while, and one that's only 2 months old. Which was my point.

While completely possible given Lion Air's track record, it would take a tremendous amount of actively "not taking care of it" to cause the technical issues such as are being reported with this particular aircraft in such a short time.

It remains completely possible this is all directly a result of Lion Air's maintenance issues. And of course, ultimately we may find out that the crash was purely operator error and had nothing to do with mechanical issues. Even that scenario wouldn't be very surprising, given Lion Air's history.

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and I don't get your fear-mongering ("I suspect other operators are now reviewing policies regarding operations ...") when WN et al. have proven that these things fly just fine, provided your crew and maintenance staff are on the ball.
Please don't misunderstand my interest in this subject. The course of action I suggested would seem to be prudent, to verify just that -- that the crew and maintenance staff are indeed "on the ball," at least with respect to this particular type of aircraft. But this is, I admit, conjecture on my part.

At least until Boeing has had time to conduct their investigation and weigh in, and possibly update service recommendations.

Like I said, lots more info to come.