FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do with all those GGU's?
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:19 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And since it's a coach fare, unless OP pays for full refundable Y, which wouldn't require a GGU to be immediately upgradable when U opened anyway since OP is MVP, there would be a $125 change fee involved in the upfare in addition to the surcharge for a GGU-eligible fare.
According to AS, an MVP upfaring where there is no change to the itinerary other than the upfare is NOT subject to the change fee. I have that in writing. As a 75K, I never purchase an eligible fare if there isn't any U space open unless, of course, the cheapest Y fare is already an eligible fare. I would never recommend an MVP do it either.

Without U space, I don't see the benefit of buying a GGU eligible fare. There is no COS. An MVPG could buy an M fare (which may be the cheapest Y bucket available) at 121 hours and will be upgraded before the MVPG75K who purchased a K fare and was moved to the upgrade request queue at 120 hours when U failed to Open.

Fully refundable Y or an S fare would put an MVP immediately onto the upgrade waitlist too, not into the MVP upgrade request queue which would give the MVP priority for upgrade over any complimentary upgrades, even MVPG75K.

James