FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:37 pm
AirborneCattleCar

Programs: United
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Depending on flexibility you could also SDC via IAD, LHR, FRA, MUC, AMS, BRU etc, given the many TATL flights out of EWR/IAD.
Good luck!
Well, this is exactly what I ended up doing. Gather round and hear the story, kids.

I had two separate reservations - roundtrips from IAD-EWR and EWR-ZRH.

Return flight ZRH>EWR had two first class seats at 24h in, so pretty much not gonna happen. Was offered new itinerary of ZRH>IAD>EWR when I checked in and ZRH>IAD had 8 available seats with inventory for immediate upgrade on a shiny new 787 to boot. I called United, who helpfully told me if I wanted to just stop in IAD rather than taking ZRH>IAD>EWR>IAD that I would have to pay a change fee. I thanked them for their oh-so-helpful customer service, shifted to the new flight online, got my upgrade, and when I landed in IAD, ripped off my bag tags before clearing customs and asked them to re-check my bags to the non-international baggage claim after clearing customs. Luggage ops guy gave me a little guff but issued me a white tag and it ended up (30 minutes later) on the regular luggage carousel.

No nastygram from United yet, but I'm not going to take it from them as a newly-minted 1K with 90+ PQS (most being paid CONUS first).