FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Delta OPUP Medallions on an E fare?
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 18, 9:47 am
Weekend Away

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
I can't speak directly to the questions for international, but I have some anecdotal evidence that op-up situations are medallion status and then traveling alone. I guess if they have two solo traveling diamonds to pick from the GA might go to fare class, but I'd imagine they'd just pick one if time was of the essence.

Two years ago I bought an economy ticket ATL-MAD, paid cash to upgrade to comfort+. During check-in my seat assignment went missing. Was told by the check-in agent I'd get it back by the GA as the flight was under airport control by that point, check-in took an hour (problems with my codeshare connection pay MAD). I made it to the gate, they're well into boarding, I stopped by the lounge first, and I get my seat assignment, in the last row. I flag a red coat, explain the situation, and she starts teaching the other GA's how to solve the problem. Still my best experience with a red coat. She said, to the other GA's, there's an open seat in D1, look for a diamond in C+. There were several, but they were traveling with a companion. Figured that it wasn't a simple process, as she had to type a lot to figure that out. Maybe go into each reservation to see that? Maybe because they had already boarded? She eventually found a solo PM and took me, as the last person to board, and gave him the op-up and me his seat. At no point did she ever mention fare class for any of the people she looked at.

Just a single data point, but I would imagine yes, it's possible of something weird happens and they need to free up a seat in a hurry.