FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Delta OPUP Medallions on an E fare?
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 18, 8:42 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by mridley2 View Post
Exactly! The general consensus is OPUP's are prioritized by status and then fare class or flight situation (e.g. flying solo or with a group/family). So as a PM on BE fare you would fall behind all DM's and any other PM's on a higher fare. Since E is the lowest fare you would likely be down on the list. But you never know..
I was once OPUP'd on ICN-DTW as a PM booked on a V fare. So it is possible.

But to answer your question. Since there are no published rules for OPUP's we can only speculate. It seems reasonable you would eligible for OPUP on a BE fare.

P.S. why would you risk a crappy middle seat on a TATL or TPAC flight? I can't imagine taking that risk to save $50 or $100 but I guess everyone has their own priorities for $$.

Delta is pretty good about putting medallions in aisles/windows upon check-in into one of the blocked rows. For example, on the flight I'm on right now, Diamonds occupy 36A,C,D,F and 37D,F (it's a 739) because they're given priority to the blocked rows.

The price differential is no longer $50 or $100 round trip - it's more like that each way. I've seen differentials high as $240 ($120 each way) on some routes. That is more than enough to make one pause to consider value - especially when C+ is already sold out (as it often is months in advance on a lot of international routes).