FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU to Melbourne/Sydney and back
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:38 am
highupinthesky

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by dave87
Hi,

I know. Plan is to pay the flights and try to upgrade with points.

David
Try to contact the SAS sales office. I just returned from an award trip to Sydney. The amount of points I paid was way below the official amount according to the award price table. I'm EBD, but I have no clue why the the award tickets was so much below the list price, and I even made a 4 day stopover in Japan on the way out. This should not be possible according to the official conditions for the award tickets.

Be aware that if you want to do the trip on Award tickets, you have to be flexible on the dates, and it's almost only Thai you can get at this point in time. Almost all other airlines don't release the award tickets until a few weeks prior to departure.
Thai is using the old 747's on the BKK-SYD route, and strangely I was on HS-TGA (a 17 year old bird) on the outbound leg with the "new" first class cabin. It looked like it was falling apart, and the bird was squeaking and banging with every movement. On the way back it was HS-TGO. It's a 25 year old bird with the old first class cabin. It looked A LOT BETTER, almost unused, and there were no squeaking or banging noise from the plane when it moved.