FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it sexist or not?
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:23 pm
ilcannone

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Russia Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
This is not specifically about Russia, it's about the whole concept of assistance, I'm just basing this on my own experience here in Russia.

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I’m female (American) and lived in Russia for several years in the 1990s. I’m not terribly surprised at women’s expectations that a man will help them with their bags, because without fail, any man I was ever with in Russia would pretty much wrestle my bag out of my hand to carry it for me. As an American and a particularly independent person, I found this jarring and slightly annoying at first, but I got used to it and learned to expect it and not be bothered by it. These days, if someone wants to pull my bag out of the overhead for me, I let him (although with the warning that it’s heavy!)

I think you’re just dealing with a “when in Rome” situation here, and you might as well just go with the flow rather than trying to impose your own cultural expectations/attitudes on an entire population of people that do not share them. Will it kill you to help? Or even hurt you? It might actually change your own attitude about the value (to yourself) of being proactively helpful to strangers; it often makes you feel like a better person after you do it.
Thing is, I've been here long enough, I know what is expected and what isn't. I even offer help to those on the metro system for example, which I already mentioned in my original post, however, in my own personal experience, 9 times out of 10, when flying, most are simply too lazy or over self-entitled to move their bags themselves. I've made this point perfectly clear in my first post and I'm by no means trying to enforce my own expectations onto anyone. I'm standing by my own principles.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see two distinct issues here: the cultural expectation and the implicit demand for help in the absence of a polite request. To me, it's rude to just look at the person and the bag or to order someone to help, but a polite request is different, although I can understand the recipient of such a request saying no for whatever reason and maybe more so if the requester is not the proverbial little old lady or seems to have too much carry on stuff anyway.
This. However, in the context of flying only, I'll quite happily refuse anyone's request bar the proverbial little old lady scenario. As for too much stuff...well, that's a no-sympathy vote from me.

Originally Posted by invisible
So where you draw a line then? There is one Russian proverb/expression - "Бьет - значит любит", even more - "бей бабу молотом, будет баба золотом" - I assume that you know Russian enough to understand. For the rest - these are two Russian proverbs. First - "He beats you - he loves you". Second - "hit woman with a hammer, she will turn into gold" - literal translation.

These (and other) proverbs are frequently used in speech and in practice as well. So... do you do the same 'when in Rome"?
Yeah, I don't know enough Russian to know proverbs...

I've already made my stance on the matter clear in my first post. Please refer back to that.