FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A333 on HKG-CAN! Isn't it insane?!
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:32 am
miklcct

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
To be honest, OP has to think wider towards KA and CX operations, in terms of time, slots, convenience, market, equipment, experience, etc.

I have heard OP has been repositioning from HKG to CAN in the past few months, is that for the KA flight?

honestly, I think KA and CX did the right thing. Minimizing the connections time of most passengers in a single widebody flight.
I did that to take advantage of price differential between HKG/CAN on a long-haul route to Europe. Some European hubs are served from both HKG and CAN with very similar timing. Under ABSOLUTELY NO circumstances I will reposition to CAN and take CAN-HKG KA flight.

AY's HEL-TKU/TMP are comparable to KA's HKG-CAN, which mainly only serve connecting passengers as people on the ground take buses, with similar distances. However, they are operated 5 times a day by propellers. I went to Turku earlier this year, but because no good fare was found to TKU and the schedule didn't match even with 5 departures per day (I took SU2200 to HEL), I ended up taking a direct airport bus from HEL to Turku for less than €20 single-trip.

By only offering 2 departures a day on CAN-HKG, most passengers will take high-speed rail in order to take flights from Hong Kong instead, especially we can connect to Airport Express at West Kowloon Station. The morning CAN-HKG flight arrives HK just before noon, and I don't know how it can minimise the connection time for most passengers, especially departing at noon for medium-haul is considered extremely bad timing because a working day is wasted.