FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SLS at Beverly Hills, CA [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:31 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Spectacular renovated SLS Suite stay with incredible Somni/Bazaar dining and service

Introduction Despite not loving our Lifestyle Suite in June 2017, we knew we would return to the SLS Beverly Hills after the wonderful service last year and after the room/suite renovations were completed by end of summer 2018. The Bazaar always was one of our favorite restaurants in LA, and its private dining room, Saam, actually had been my absolute favorite. Saam closed in July 2017 and reopened as Somni in March 2018--and I wanted to go badly! We just waited until the room/suite renovation was completed in August 2017.Due to a snafu with our wine pairings at Saam in 2017, the SLS and Somni offered us a free dinner for 2 at Somni. So we booked our 2 nights at the SLS accordingly for our Saturday night dinner at Somni. I ended up getting upgraded to the SLS Suite over a month in advance by one of the amazing SLS managers we'd met last year. I then decided to extend my stay another 2 nights, rather than move to the nearby W Los Angeles/West Beverly Hills where I normally stay for work. The SLS graciously offered to keep me in the SLS Suite despite the fact that my husband (and dog) wouldn't be with me for the final 3 nights. I told the hotel I was happy to downgrade for the final nights, but the hotel insisted I enjoy the SLS Suite for my entire stay.The seating area outside the lobby during the daytime:The main hotel restaurant, Tres by Jose Andres, is front and center on entering the lobby:Guest relations is to right of the lobby entrance:Reception and concierge are to the left and around a corner. Check In Check in was quick and easy--though there was no mention or thanks for my Marriott elite status. I did ask if the FDA could see my status, and he then indicated he could see I was Platinum. He indicated they are supposed to get the new Marriott reservation system in November. He did say I had been upgraded to one of the nicest suites in the hotel. Of course, I already knew this--but it was cute how mysterious he tried to be. Room The SLS Suite was a tremendous room.The bedroom was very spacious and full of natural light:You can just make out the Hollywood sign in the distance to the right of the dark building.The small bathroom was off the closet hallway, which was ginormous.There was the dreaded Book of Mormon in the closet drawer. Sigh...The small single-vanity bathroom was probably the biggest issue I had with this otherwise wonderful suite. It was about the same size as the bathroom we'd had last year--a bit too small for a suite this size, in my opinion. The sliding mirrored door also seemed a little too kitsch for me, especially if someone were doing their business in the bathroom. Another sliding mirored door opened slightly into the bedroom for no good reason.Wifi was blazing fast at around 115-120 Mbps download and 185-200 Mbps upload. Some of the fastest Wifi I've ever enjoyed.The air con worked like magic--once I had them set it so it wouldn't turn off in the bedroom (which was controlled in the closet). Set to 60 F for me, it never stopped running--and the bedroom easily achieved a beautiful (for me) 62 F by the next morning. I could hear some traffic noise by 7-8 am on Monday morning. I didn't hear much traffic on Sunday morning, fortunately. This was the 6th floor and a top suite, so I think double paned glass would have been more appropriate. The suite was totally blacked out when the shades were drawn. The whole suite was incredibly comfortable. Despite the small bathroom and slight traffic noise , we really loved the suite. I might request a courtyard facing room/suite for my next visit, though--just to be safe on noise. Service Service again was extraordinary, as good as any St Regis. Everyone was extremely friendly, always trying to help, and always handling things in a very prompt and efficient manner. Even the air con engineer was a delight. Even my request for housekeeping to keep the bedroom doors closed so it would stay colder was honored throughout my stay. A small welcome amenity bottle of red wine, chocolate, and card were left for us once my husband and dog arrived:A few days later, a second welcome amenity and card were left for me (since I had 2 reservations, most likely). This one was even better--with cheese, nuts, fruit, water, and champagne.I had driven my Tesla, and the hotel valets charged it every night of my stay. Another nice service touch. Kudos to the entire team for exceptional service. Dining We dined A LOT here, since that was the original reason for this particular stay and because I love the restaurants here. Everything but Sunday brunch is something I would do again and again. SOMNI dinner, Saturday nightSomni is the equivalent of a 2 or 3 Michelin star dinner experience. It was sublime. Menu costs $235 per person. Our wine pairings were $500 apiece because we chose the priciest option. (We are major foodies, and I'm a major wine fanatic.) Location The SLS Beverly Hills is extremely convenient for us as it houses two of my favorite restaurants, Somni and the Bazaar by Jose Andres. It's so nice and easy to have dinner and drinks and then just walk back up to my room. It's also very convenient to most of my business in LA. It was just a 1 hr 20 min drive up from Newport Beach, a 12-15 min drive into Westwood, a 20 min drive to the West side, and a 30-45 min drive to Pasadena. Shockingly, it was only a 25-30 min drive to reach LAX on my way home on Wednesday. Overall It's a very impressive hotel. Service is stellar. The food/beverage is unmatched by any hotel in LA. The rooms/suites are much improved and very comfortable. It's a contemporary luxury experience all around. I highly recommend it!