FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odd revenue management practices emerging?
Old Oct 25, 18, 11:22 pm
Gig103

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by airb330 View Post
You are correct. However, United serves EWR-CDG nonstop. That's the comparison for me, I wasn't comparing ZFV-EWR-CDG. UA has been $450-500 to many European destinations throughout the summer and fall; AA has consistently been $1,000+. The two airports are only 90 miles apart and I don't mind the extra 50 minutes in the car. Most people I know don't either. Again good for AA for filling an a332 at those prices, but I am not going to pay those prices when EWR is half the price.
Similar story out here in PHX. My coworker paid $1700 for Y PHX-ORD-VCE when LAX is a 6hr drive for far better fares (even to a small airport like Venice; LAX-FCO can be dirt cheap in economy). I shop business class fares and PHX is consistently $5500, but LAX with all of their competition is $3000. I throw in a night at an LAX airport hotel to cover my butt and come out way ahead.

And when I visit family (some in Northern NJ and some in Southern NJ) I always check both PHL and EWR and Newark has always been cheaper (both nonstops, I guess hub-to-hub is more because they want to save those seats for international connections)