FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL to Hawaii - No upgrades avail and crazy 1st class pricing?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:58 am
gregtay

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
Upgrading with miles is absolutely an option (US50 flights) on this route at time of purchase. Either you are not logged in when you are searching or you are selecting a Basic Economy fare where the option is not available (you must select a Main Cabin or C+ fare to get the option). Note that this is nothing more than paying the fare diff between coach and F with miles at the rate of 1 CPM. If you have a DL Amex, you can basically get the exact same deal by selecting F fares and using Pay with Miles to partially pay for the ticket.

The basic problem here is that there is currently only J/C bucket availability on the outbound flights in March and C fares are about $2K one-way. However, there are a number of dates with D bucket open on the return flights from OGG-SEA with D fares around $700 one-way. Namely 3/4, 3/6, 3/7, 3/11, 3/14, 3/18-21, and 3/26-28. You could book the return flight if one of those dates works and hope that D bucket or lower opens up on one of the outbound flights at a later point (set a fare alert on Google Flights).

Alternatively, you could book SEA-HNL where there is pretty good of I/Z bucket availability at around $600 one way and a separate ticket from HNL-OGG. The Z fares require Mon-Thu travel (I fares are good for Fri - Sun depatures). Decent I bucket availability on outbound weekend departures in March.
And I will add we are flying on Wed (both outbound and return)… so the HNL routing does seem to work pretty good with decent fares w/ upgrades using miles. That was the other puzzling thing.. $4k for F mid week. I would sort of understand the weekend.