FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report - Helsinki, Amsterdam, Brussels and Barra - a sporadic TP run
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:43 am
mtikky

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Third run, and two firsts for me

Day 11
Monday 15th October
08:55 LCY - GLA, BA8722
E170 G-LCYI, ET, seat 3A

No rest for the wicked as they say, and a curious routing to City Airport - but it worked! Travelling via London Bridge and Woolwich Arsenal to pick up the DLR from there was pain free and much easier than the tangled mess of changing at Bank/Monument Underground.

For this leg I was happy to go in ET especially as CityFlyer still offers an on-board service even with only 2 cabin crew - bacon roll and coffee will do me thank you!

Arrived in Glasgow and had to go landside to check in my bag (despite being appropriate size for BA) for my next leg... then invested in the Upper Deck lounge (£22) to sit, chill and make use of the power supply ready for a first for me in many regards...

13:00 GLA - BRR, LM451
Twin Otter G-HIAL, seat 7A

First beach runway? Tick
First Twin Otter flight? Tick
Am I happy to be in the exit row? Why not...!?!!

# baby plane do do do do do do... #

Exit row seat

Safety demonstration given by the first officer and we set off, barely got above 3000 feet all the way across, including routing via Tobermory (Balamory for those with young kids).

So what was the story in Balamory today?

Arrived safely and the local "bus" route (a 14 seat minbus) took me to the Castlebay Hotel for the night, for the best nights sleep in ages, a lovely meal in the hotel and some highly picturesque views as well.

Ops 1 providing baggage handling

A locally made lamb hotpot had at the hotel

If you come to Barra out of season (after September) - be aware that very little is open. The hotel also housed the only bar in the area, and mobile signal on the island is pretty much non existent - not a bad thing really, although most public places have wifi of some sort.

Day 12
Tuesday 16th October

I awake to strong winds and heavy rainfall. Am I to be marooned on the island?
After a suitably filling breakfast, I check out from the hotel but remain in their lounge area, consuming my body weight in coffee whilst waiting for the rain to calm down.

A further bus departure at 13:20 sends me along the rickety roads back to Barra Airport.
The flights were delayed inbound - presumably caused by the said weather being a little unfriendly - but it did result in both Twin Otters being on the sand at the same time.

LM452 departs for Glasgow.

15:05 BRR - GLA, LM456
Twin Otter G-SGTS, seat 2A

Expecting the worst, although with a clear view straight into the flight deck this time, we take off rapidly and veer off to the right, before climbing up over the cloud cover. The route is amended on the way to swap from the 'scenic' route to a more direct routing straight to Glasgow Airport.

Landing this time brings us straight to baggage reclaim, rather than into the departure gates.

At this point I take a local bus to Paisley Gilmour Street to get a train to Edinburgh, via Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street, to book into my hotel for the night - Holiday Inn (right next to Edinburgh Zoo and served by the 100 bus). Safely checked in, I head back into the city for food and to while away the small hours at Whistlebinkies, a daily live music bar.

Saying hello to one of my old work colleagues, now half relocated north of the wall

How much bed does one man need!?!!

Day 13
Wednesday 17th October
10:05 EDI - LHR, BA1441
Boeing 767 G-BZHB, ET, seat 8K

Waking up and realising that you can have too much of a good thing, and with not having free breakfast included in my hotel room, I wash and brush up and head to the airport.
Security was suitably quick and pain free, and I install myself into the lounge. With breakfast options limited here compared to my home airport, I opt for porridge, coffee and orange juice - not bad in all respects.

And so to my first 767 experience. Somewhat unique for me (but probably completely normal to most on FT) and I settle into my window seat, somewhat jammed into the arm rests. The cosy feeling of the old B737 fleet ex LGW is felt in these.
My seat neighbour however was keen to take the armrest for herself and her many items on her - I didn't think you could have a handbag held for takeoff?
Once airbourne, I catch up on some Zzzz's (helped by accidentally reclining myself on takeoff) until we land at Heathrow.

Unfortunately my final experience was less happy. With no Heathrow Express (overhead wire damage the previous day) and a keenness not to be on the Tube for hours, I opt for the local bus link to Feltham.
This would have worked fine if:
1 - I hadn't just missed a bus, and had a 15 minute wait
2 - the buses in Feltham weren't on diversion, so got kicked off one bus in Feltham village and had to wait ten minutes for another one
3 - the trains weren't full and standing already as they were coming from Reading - with people trying to dodge Paddington

I get home around 3pm, catch up on post, then start planning my next trip!

Last edited by mtikky; Oct 24, 2018 at 6:07 am Reason: Now with pictures