FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Attending language school
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:53 pm
chrisphx

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Lightbulb Attending language school

We are interested in visiting Cuba, but it pains me to see so many tour companies charging several thousands of dollars to put together tour packages. We thought about taking a cruise that stays in Havana for 28 hours, but that feels like it would not be enough.

I had an idea that we could go down and attend a language school. This would give us a little structure, not to mention an official reason for going: educational opportunity. This should allow us to check one of the 12 boxes allowing us to go, right?

Typically these schools have mini-excursions in the afternoons, which would allow us to see some sites around town. We could book some extra time before or after to see sites outside of Havana.

Has anyone here taken language schools down there? Does my line of reasoning seem to make sense, or am I missing something here? Any recommendations re: schools? We are not on a tight budget, per se, but I hate to spend all the money on official tour companies that don't seem to deliver much value or have much authenticity.