FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Escalating a pathetic Cust Rels response - cancellation requiring out of pocket spend
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:58 pm
daslax

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Escalating a pathetic Cust Rels response - cancellation requiring out of pocket spend

Long story short: I was flying LGA-RDU-LHR a few weeks ago... the RDU-LHR cancelled due to a mechanical issue long after departure time. Only alternative was to book a flight the next day and the agents provided hotel voucher for the overnight. Only problem... when we arrived at the hotel, they had no rooms and told us that they had specifically told the AA agents this was the case. At this point, it was late at night and the only option was to book a hotel ourselves. I even tweeted AA at the time, who responded that we should keep our hotel receipt and provide after the trip.

I sent a note to AA CS over the weekend describing the situation and requesting reimbursement for the out of pocket costs (hotel and transportation), plus whatever accommodation they felt was appropriation for the hassle we experienced. Here's the reply I got back...

Your time is valuable. We understand that. We know, too, that few things are as frustrating as a cancelled flight. I'm sorry that we delivered anything less than a wonderful experience traveling with American.

While we don't assume financial responsibility for out-of-pocket expenses when operational disruptions occur, from what I read it sounds as though we could've done a better job at assisting you. As a tangible way of saying sorry, I've added 15,000 bonus miles to each AAdvantageŽ account.

Mr. xxxx, we value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on American.
This has to be a joke, right? They took responsibility for our overnight stay when they issued hotel vouchers. How they could put this on me is just... amazing. And 15k points? I'm kind of stunned that they would send this to an EXP.

Are there avenues to escalate this? Who would be the right person/team? I already directly responded to the email, but I'm not expecting much.