FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:16 am
Global321

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Had in interesting incident with my mom flying in from CA on Friday. I booked her ticket about 2 weeks ago from my AAdvantage account (she has no status but is an authorized user on my Barclays Silver card). Plugged in her FF number and personal info, and placed the ticket on hold. Finally converted the hold to a booked ticket within 24 hours. No issues, no erroneous fees on the quick ticket side, no problems getting a decent seat assignment (blue seats).

On the ticket confirmation, the following appeared:

Day of travel, I checked her in. All good. Boarding passes printed, Precheck assigned, FF number in locator, etc.

She got to the airport, and got a wheelchair assist since she is limited in mobility. Went to front counter and got all set. There, the front counter agent insisted on collecting the checked baggage fee as my mon wanted to check a bag. My mom said it wasn't owed as AA.com's own website said no fee was owed. Agent insisted on collected a fee and implied that my mom had basically falsified the website printout. After 5 minutes of back and forth, my mom was wheeled off to the security checkpoint - with bag in tow. The bag fits in the overhead, but she prefers the ease now of checking a bag with her age.

So who was right in this instance and why would aa.com state -two- times now that there is no bag fee associated with her ticket?
Why would there not be a fee?

The bag fee is dependant on the traveler's status/class of service, etc. Who bought the ticket is irrelevant.

I think the reservation computer gets confused when a FF with status uses miles to get a ticket for a non-frequent flyer.

Either way, the agent was correct on the fee.