FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:35 pm
neala

Help validating reasons for delay to a flight 8 months ago

I am helping a friend who is claiming compensation for a flight to LAS in February that was delayed by more than 4 hours.

BA have so far paid EUR 300 compensation. They have said that the total delay was 280 minutes, but 50 minutes of this was due to operational reasons outside of their control. My friend does not recollect that any operational reasons were mentioned on the day. My friend's recollection is that the aircraft went tech and eventually BA decided that a replacement aircraft was required.

Given the flight was so long ago, I am struggling to find out how to validate that 50 minutes of the delay was down to reasons outside of BA's control. Is anyone able to help please? Many thanks,

BA275 on 5 February 2018.

Excerpt from BA's email below

When assessing a claim for compensation we have to investigate the reasons for the delay to determine if it's eligible for compensation or not. I can confirm your flight BA0275 was delayed on 5 February 2018 was delayed for 280 minutes. I've included the details below for your reference, please note the times displayed are shown in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

Flight BA0275 from London Heathrow to Las Vegas.
Scheduled departure date and time: 05 February 2018 15.50 GMT
Actual departure date and time: 05 February 2018 20:31 GMT
Scheduled arrival date and time: 06 February 02.30 GMT
Actual arrival date and time: 06 February 07.10 GMT
Total delay: 280 minutes

50 minutes of this delay is attributed to operational reasons that were outside of our control and are not eligible for EU compensation. The rest of your delay, totalling 230 minutes is eligible for EU Compensation.

The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3,500km and this has been calculated in accordance with EU legislation. This means because you were delayed more than three hours you're entitled to compensation, however as less than four hours of your delay is eligible for compensation, you’re entitled to €300.00, which is 50% of the full amount.