FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Takeaways From My First Southwest Experience
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:22 am
sydneyracquelle

Takeaways From My First Southwest Experience

I have been an ATL based DL DM and PM for many years. A client recently booked me on my first SW flight and my number one takeaway was how pleasurable the boarding process was.

No gate lice to deal with. I did not pay for early boarding and I checked in online at exactly T-24. I got a number in the high A section and everyone lined up in a very orderly fashion. Boarding was so simple. Why can’t DL simply give everyone a number based on status/fare paid, etc. given that the current zones obviously aren’t working?

My second takeaway was how much easier things can be with no reserved seats. As I boarded I noticed that the majority of windows and aisles were taken with most middle seats empty. Having reserved seats must add a huge additional burden for DL and passengers get upset when seat assignments change, families aren’t seated together, etc.

My third takeaway was how nice it must be for those who check luggage (I never do) not to have to pay for it.

Overall I see the disadvantages of being stuck in Y on a long flight but I would definitely fly SW again if I had to.