FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Problems with 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability and "Corporate Clients"
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:55 pm
bookeew

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Problems with 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability and "Corporate Clients"

I am wondering about whether any of you folks had a problem using the Platinum Premier guaranteed availability benefit 48 hours before stay, particularly at Starwood properties.

This was the second time I needed to use it in ~6 years, and the hotel -so far- is unwilling to open up availability. The first time was a Marriott property, which went flawlessly (in fact, worked online and I didn't even had to call). Now, it is a Starwood property, and it does not work at all.

The situation is: my travel agent called 10/19 to book a 4 night stay at the Westin Forrestal, from 10/19 to 10/23. The night from 10/22 to 10/23 is unavailable, everything else is wide open availability-wise. The agent called Marriott/SPG global booking, which could not open availability, and also the hotel directly, which refused to open availability. I also spoke with the front desk to set up late checkout, and I asked whether there is any special event happening that day, which was answered in the negative. Instead, they said that they are sold out because of "corporate clients like every week." So, to my understanding, this would certainly not qualify as "limited dates" if they block availability for PP because of regular pattern. Overall, to me, this very much sounds like a SPG property playing with availability for their own benefit.

Ultimately, if the benefit does not actually work, then it's useless, and it's the *only* benefit on top of Platinum status that is actually useful. I'll probably have to move to the Hyatt in the middle of my stay because of it.

What is the proper recourse here? Reach out to Marriott global? The general manager? Thoughts?