FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skymiles account hacked, points drained
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:33 am
RealHJ

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Zorak
Uh, that's certainly one opinion.

I have a great memory. I also have over 200 sites in my password manager (60+ in my "Travel" category alone).

A good password manager doesn't literally store your actual passwords, it stores an encrypted version of them, and the encryption key never leaves your device.

They're not foolproof or perfect, but for most people the benefits of being able to use long/complex and unique passwords on multiple sites far outweighs the risks (which are present, sure) of using a password manager.
An offline password manager with a physical key and individual key encryption of each and every password, sure, that can work. There is the right way to do it, though still generally putting all your proverbial eggs in one basket is not a good idea, no matter how sturdy you think it is (what if some major backdoor is discovered in it later? that has been quite common in various encryption sw, after all). It's just that other than storing it in your mind, there is no 100% safe way to store any passwords.