FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Orlando {US-FL}
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:40 pm
Petdog

Originally Posted by jalves
breakfast at the Waldorf Astoria is very good. There is a combination buffet and table service. Extensive offerings on the "continental" breakfast (more than just breakfast breads) and the full buffet looked great.
My girlfriend and I stayed there 10/13-16.

I fully agree with Jalves. Breakfast is served in the Oscar's restaurant until 11:30 am. We had the full buffet one day, with offerings that included omelettes, crepes, waffles, pancakes, lox, and a dessert buffet. We had the continental another day and I thought it was ample (fruit, breads, juices, meats, cheeses, cereals).

We had mixed feelings on the hotel itself. Short version: We thought the property itself was very comfortable and the spa was great, but that the service just missed far too frequently. Our thoughts:

POSITIVES
- great pool area, doubly so because there was almost no one there
- friendly staff
- lovely, well-run spa--my girlfriend thought the treatments and service were fantastic, and reasonably priced compared to NYC (!)
- food was enjoyable, though nothing to write home about (we ate at Oscar's, at the poolside restaurant, and through room service)
- view of the fireworks from our balcony was great
- very nice gym all to ourselves (nice mix of strength, stretching, and cardio equipment and space, with a big open floor area with artificial turf and lots of light streaming in through the floor-to-ceiling windows)
- we didn't play the golf course, but it and the running/biking trail looked lovely and well tended
- Disney-view suite was generously sized and comfortably furnished, without any wear and tear

NEGATIVES
- We thought the service level just wasn't good. Fortunately, we really enjoyed the positives and, having read the negative service reviews in advance (e.g., see TripAdvisor), were expecting worse. The best I can describe it is that we felt the service was missing all the little things that really make service smooth and a stay enjoyable. Examples of service that I think fell short and, when accumulated, become a noticeable negative.
  • misplacing an important package we had arranged with the front desk supervisor to have delivered directly to the hotel
  • not offering to help with our bags when we arrived (neither at the curb or at the front desk)
  • leaving in the room the previous tenant's half-finished bottles of wine
  • coming in late to turn down the bed and insisting on continuing (or misunderstanding us)
  • ignoring the do not disturb sign
  • losing track of luggage
  • checking us out mid-stay (we had a split reservation) despite me confirming with the staff twice by email, once in person, and once by phone that that would not happen
  • billing incorrectly
My two cents.