FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:13 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by newjack
Hey guys, new to the forum here so please forgive me if I am violating a rule here but I have a question about delayed cancelled flights and compensation. I am currently doing a status challenge with AA. Had a flight booked on UA ORD->DCA, cancelled, called united and they booked me on an AA flight through TYR, took the first leg and then TYR->DCA was delayed overnight. Was told it was due to weather, booked my hotel and intended to get Chase to reimburse me. A month later AA delayed another of my flights overnight after two hours on the runway. Took a cab home and then back again in the morning again hoping to get this reimbursed by chase. Emailed AA for documentation for both of these claims and low and behold it tells me first was mechanical issues and second was crew hours and they gave me 10,000 miles as good will with the notification. My question is, will I be able to get anything out of them for the expenses incurred by the overnight delay?
If your overnight was in fact caused by a mechanical problem then AA will reimburse you for (some of) the hotel. You should be able to reply to the email with a scanned copy of your hotel receipt and ask for reimbursement. Be prepared through, unless you booked a really cheap room, AA will typically only pay up to a certain amount per night depending on the city, so you most likely will not get all of it back.