FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:41 pm
sethb
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I haven’t followed this too closely but I read the article about the Westin Book Cadillac in Detroit. It seems their main complaint is they want similar wages to those at the Renaissance a mile away. Doesn’t seem too unreasonable (and hey, with all the MR bashing can we point out that apparently a MR hotel was paying more than a former SPG one?)
IIRC, the Book Cadillac is in a not-so-great area of Detroit. The Renaissance is in a neighborhood I was willing to walk around in to get dinner. It seems reasonable to me that a higher-priced hotel in a better neighborhood pays its staff more, and as a result has better employees (or at least first pick of them).

Originally Posted by Segments
Suspect the union is trying to link MAGC to safety in terms of being able to prevent bad actors from using hotel rooms as a staging point for domestic terrorism. (think Vegas shooting). Indirectly creating an unsafe workplace if someone is stock piling guns, running a meth lab or human trafficking.

Personally I don’t think housekeeping is the right resource for this task.
If I'm doing something such that I don't want Housekeeping to enter my room, I'll tell them not to enter the room (leave the DND sign out all day). Does anybody really believe that not getting 500 points would deter a potential terrorist?

Last edited by yosithezet; Oct 17, 2018 at 12:17 am Reason: Merged