FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth mattress running to Explorist from Discoverist?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:43 pm
G-CIVC

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Is it worth mattress running to Explorist from Discoverist?

I'm not really a hotel expert (vis a vis my FFP standings at least) but I've always been a fan of Hyatt and currently am going to be ending my year at 22-23 nights.
This is after a year of staying at wonderful properties like the Centric Tokyo, Andaz SG and a few in China, with PH DC, PH Vienna and HR Kyoto lined up before the year ends.

My question is - would it ever be worth it to mattress run an additional 5 or 6 nights (+ I could arrange 1-2 more nights out of half-need) to get Explorist? Any fellow WoH members notice any difference (or lack of) between Discv and Explorist? I've read across a few places that say Explorist is not worth a single penny extra to organically get; but the difference between (category upgrade excl. suites vs 'preferred room' for Discv) does mean something to me and I often stack it with Virtuoso/Prive/my CX emerald benefits at Hyatt properties. Also I heard some niche-er properties are still stuck in the two-tier HGP mentality of the past and explorists tend to be treated towards the ex-Diamond side?

I have at least 3 properties that I am looking to use my Club awards in 2019 if I make Explorist - Berlin, Taipei and Erawan. I suppose all of these are pretty solid options.
Plus stays at PH Beijing, Vendome and Milan - as explorist, I could use points and still potentially get semi-decent upgrades instead of having to fork full fare and use Virtuoso/Prive?

To run for those 5-6 nights, there are some cat 1 properties that go for ~$80-100 in my area, and a Cat 2 right across the street from my apartment (but that's more expensive selling for $130-200 per night on average). A few of them are HP/HHs so I could take advantage of the AAdvantage promo as well I reckon...
I also have 2 cat 1-4 certs (they count right?!) but I'm not sure if it's worth it burning for a staycation/mattress run over some potential good value uses for next year (GH erawan/TPE). Well, if I'm using them I'll do a 2 night staycation/mattress run at the HR TST Hong Kong - I guess similar level, but I live in HK anyway...
If I do 2 nights certs, 2 nights points (I have a rather abundant supply), then I'm just gonna be forking out cash for 2 or 3 nights.

I'm not sure if I answered my own question, so I would love to hear all your thoughts. Sorry for the long length and really appreciate insights from all of you in advance!