FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying with hidden disabilities
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:57 am
FEMW

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Flying with hidden disabilities

There are new CAA guidelines out for those flying with hidden disabilities. It is on Head for Points. Summary points raised.

Have a clear and accessible pre-notification system in place allowing passengers to request special assistance at the point of booking

Share information about a passenger’s assistance needs within their own organisation and with the airport and ground handling agents

Ensure a passenger with a hidden disability is seated with a travelling companion at no extra cost

Invest in quality training for staff so hidden disabilities can be identified and passengers assisted accordingly

Ensure passengers with hidden disabilities are looked after in the event of flight delays and cancellations

It is a long time coming. I am profoundly deaf and it is noted on my BAEC account so when making a booking it pops up to ask if I need assistance. Usually I am flying with my hearing husband so it is declined. Assistance usually means you need someone to get to to the gate/aircraft. When on board l, I rely on my husband relaying the announcements. CC and captain announcements are usually reeling off a big long spiel with no pauses and after 5 mins of all that - my husband can’t remember half of what is said. Furthermore - it should also mean that all films and tv programs on IFE must automatically come with closed caption subtitles. If no subtitles then it should not be loaded. Had a few LH BA flights where no subtitles and it has spoiled the flight for me.

If any BA CC or in Customer Services here please take note - you are happy to take my money - please provide the service that deaf people and those with hidden disabilities require.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=8717 . Thanks to Head for Points

Last edited by FEMW; Oct 16, 2018 at 2:06 am