FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HND-VIE coming in February 2019
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:38 am
FireEmblemPride

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If Finland has Haneda slots, I am surprised that Finnairs double daily on HEL NRT for the summer time table was not split between the airports. Makes little sense to have two AY flights departing Narita within an hour..
Problem is there's no good way for a non-Japanese airline to use overnight slots for European flights without forcing the plane to spend a day at HND. Japanese airlines have an inherent advantage because they can just take the plane and go somewhere else without issue. It can only work for a European airline if they have a daytime slot as well.

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
From 23:00 to 06:00, there are unused slots.
Basically, any airline can use them.
All HND slots are still dependent on agreements made between Japan and each country. So at some point, Japan had to have negotiated landing rights at HND for flights to Austria. I remember reading about Finland, the Netherlands and Italy having them, but not Austria. Also, I know Turkey holds overnight slots. The UAE has another slot reserved for Abu Dhabi, but Etihad isn't using it.

If JL decides to restore its second CDG service, maybe they do a redeye from HND instead like they used to, or perhaps start service to FCO or AMS.