FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oops.... [Flying F has its issues - everything else seems disappointing?]
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:32 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
BA F hasn't been our favorite. But we had a wonderful fight a few months ago.

Thus far, with only four different airline F experiences (several more booked - gotta continue the experiment for the sake of science), BA has been our least favorite, but phrasing it like that sounds very unfair. We had a terrific flight, comfortable sleeping and good food. Not great, but good, and we'll take "good" any day on a flight!

But our comparisons include JL and CX, and alas (so to speak), JL and CX F were our first F experiences. Better yet, they were both 14-15+ hour flights, where it especially made a difference.

The closest non-F experience we've had was twice, about 4 years ago, in Alitalia's Magnifica class. In both cases, due to changes of equipment, we were upgraded at no cost to Magnifica. We still joke that it was a "the first one is free" "scam"
We had fabulous flights both times, and the trolley service dinner was actually wonderful. Nice surprise!
The year before, even in a relatively nice premium economy, these aging bodies started balking and complaining painfully (literally), and... there was no going back. For long flights, it will need to be at least J (flat bed), or, save for some emergency, we just won't go.

Ah, I take it back. I think our first 2 "tries" at F were on United and American, but those might have been a "domestic F", which was more like J. Those were VERY cramped, and in AA, the foot "compartment" was just too, too small. I don't have large feet, but I couldn't really fit my feet in, so I have no idea how Mr. Geezer managed. I especially have no idea what the designer of that space was thinking!

But we really cannot complain about the BA F, and when one combines that with the comfy Concorde Room for a moderately long connection, all the better.

I'm sure our good fortune (with the assistance of an awards service) will eventually fail, and we'll have opportunities to try international J. We are trying to promise each other we won't complain. We need to keep this all in perspective, as possibly one of the "top" first world problems...

GC