FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft
Old Oct 13, 2018, 3:28 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Yannisb
Perhaps satellite coverage is not great across Russia/Asia?
We could probably do with some data points on this. This is the Gogo2Ku coverage map, from their website:

Having done a few tests on this - the BA Shop website indicates when the wifi signal is lost, I've found that while reception to East Coast USA/Canada is maintained, there are blank spots over Greenland and Northern Canada - which affects services to/from the West Coast USA/Canada. From what I can make out, if you are at the top of the blue area, the signal isn't strong enough to be viable and the aircraft needs to move some way inside the blue box. So on my recent LGW-OAK service the service was knocked out from mid Greenland until we dropped down to 66° N in Nunavut. Roughly half way between Gjoa Haven and Baker Lake.