FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:49 pm
DELee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by OliverB
Haha definitely not Brit talk. Popover is just a pullover buttoned shirt (half placket) and a Pendleton Topster is what I'm wearing below:

I'm not concerned about the sunny side of the isle; that's easy -- I'll just be packing beach wear! It's the rain forest side (Hilo/Volcano) that I'm trying to figure out. I have no idea what to expect for December weather. Likewise evening in the high country; I understand it can drop like 20 degrees and get quite cool at night. Is it dumb/unnecessary to pack a linen sports coat?
Having a coat is always useful - even on cold plane flights. And the Hilo side gets more rain and is cooler than the Kona side.

Pack light for warm weather as you already are planning and then you can always go shopping if you want or need to augment your wardrobe.

Know that if you are going to walk on lava, closed toes shoes that may get a bit torn up are essential. And the big island is all lava. Even adjacent to most/all beaches.

David