Old Oct 12, 18, 6:12 pm
bhrubin

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
I dont’t think the fact it was an award booking should have any bearing on the guest’s platinum recognition. Award stays are paid stays — Marriott pays properties an amount that is not very far off what a competitive corporate rate would be for the same night.

That said, award stays are for an entry-level room category. It’s only natural that properties would rather upgrade a plat member with a revenue reservation for a higher category room.
I don’t mean to say that the award booking was a factor in treatment by the hotel. I mean to say that the award booking should have been a factor in the expectation of the guest—since it books to an entry level room as you reiterated.

Upgrading a Plat member is obviously something a hotel would like to do—when it’s possible. In this case, being oversold, the hotel couldn’t upgrade for the entire stay and yet still went above and beyond to do it later in the stay. Even on an award stay, amply demonstrating the hotel treated the booking as well as any paid stay.

FWIW I stayed here last year on an award stay and also was upgraded. And the hotel was sold out. But I was Plat100 with Ambassador. But the hotel clearly has a record of treating award stays just as well as paid stays. And the hotel clearly also has a record of treating Plats well whenever possible.

It’s too bad the guest couldn’t dine at La Scene for dinner—it was very good. Breakfast and dinner service here are completely different quantities.