FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:53 pm
Statman

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
As for travel interruption insurance, correct me if I'm wrong, but Chase's travel interruption insurance does not actually include reimbursements for expenses you incur as a result of that interruption. At least it does not explicitly include them and I've seen more than a few data points to suggest it does not. To me, the most expensive part of any potential interruption is the booking of last minute alternative transportation, which in most cases will run in excess of thousands of dollars per person. I believe Citi does explicitly cover these expenses, as do most third party travel insurance companies, but from what I understand, Chase does not. That's a big asterisk if you ask me.
You are not wrong. Chase's travel interruption insurance only covers pre-paid expenses. Therefore, if your trip is interrupted due to a covered event and you can't use the rest of your original tickets, Chase will reimburse you the remaining value of those unused tickets.

However, and the big kicker is that any new tickets you purchase to get you back home are on you. Like you mentioned, any last minute tickets are going to cost a fortune and Chase doesn't cover that.

What about just changing your original tickets to get you back home?

In that case, the Chase travel interruption insurance will only cover the change fee. Chase does not pay for the fare difference from the change and you'll still be stuck paying a huge walk up fare up charge.

Last edited by Statman; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:28 pm