FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Island in December - Questions and Recommendations
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:27 pm
OliverB

Thanks so much, Arthurrs!

That saves us a lot of time and money... and we don't need any airplane tours, we'll do fine by car and foot!

Could anyone give me an idea of what sort of packing we should plan for Hilo and Volcano during the first week of December?

I'm planning to just pack shorts and swim trunks for the Kona side during the daytime w/ some very lightweight seersucker & cotton madras half-sleeve shirts and popovers. A rayon aloha shirt and pair of old cotton twill army chinos for the evenings, plus an old linen Brooks Bros sack jacket for the occasional "nicer" meal (Merrimans, Browns Beach House, etc). Maybe a lightweight vintage cotton harrington style windbreaker for cooler afternoons.

What about the other side of the island though? Will shorts and swim trunks still work? Will I need some sort of rain coat? Should I pack long sleeves for the evenings?

Would something like this be appropriate for rainy weather or do you suppose that canvas would be too heavy?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/5687451...k-rainproofed?

Could anyone describe what the tropical rain is like on the Hilo/Volcano side? My limited experience of seasonal afternoon tropical storms in Miami (that typically blow past in an hour or two) is all that I have to go by...

Would something like this waxed canvas rain poncho seem better suited for our time in the rain forest?
https://www.carriercompany.co.uk/pro...long-rain-cape
(also looking at old wwii anoraks on ebay)

FTR, we're spending 2 nights in Hilo + 2 nights in Volcano
(after our initial week on the milder side of the isle)

Lastly, I'm wary about packing a lot of clothing as I don't want to be hauling luggage all over the place and I've read about rental car break-ins so I'm hoping to just bring one pair of knock-around shoes + a pair of espadrilles for the beach. Do you suppose I can get away with canvas CVO style sneakers in nicer restaurants? It feels really dumb to pack a pair of heavier dress shoes just for a couple of meals when it will just consume space and add weight to our luggage.

Thanks!!

PS -- forgot to ask about the 'high country' around Waimea where we'll be having dinners and occasional meals. Will a button down shirt be fine in the evenings w/ cotton twill chinos or do I need something heavier to layer over like a Pendleton Topster?

Last edited by OliverB; Oct 12, 2018 at 6:35 pm