FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:06 am
eastindywalrus

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I have never, ever, had a situation where any additional travel delay/interruption insurance would have helped me. I guess from a peace of mind perspective I can understand it would be a big deal for people, but I just never run into a situation where it would have made any difference. I do think Amex should offer it, because like you say it is a high annual fee travel card, but it just isn't something I've ever found myself using and I've been in trips plagued by hurricanes and typhoons.

Now, what the American Express Platinum does offer is emergency evacuation insurance, with no cost cap, and without even having to have used it to book the trip you're on. That is a benefit that is, as far as I know, unmatched by any credit card anywhere else in the world and one that most certainly gives me more peace of mind than any delay insurance might. I had a family member have a minor medical emergency on a cruise earlier this year and Amex was very helpful in orchestrating medical help ashore at no cost to us, though luckily it didn't require a full fledged evacuation and the trip was concluded normally.

Definitely wish Amex would offer it, but it's hardly a dealbreaker and I'd much rather use my various Amex cards to book travel than I would using a CSR/CSP just on the off chance I need the delay insurance.
So, it sounds like you don't see much value in trip interruption insurance because you've never had a trip interrupted. Well, I could just as easily say that I don't see the value in emergency medical evacuation insurance because I've never had to be medically evacuated. Insurance is worthless until you need it. Then you realize either how glad you were that you had it, or how much you regret not getting it.