FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:21 pm
MicSanToro

Originally Posted by 24left
Also, some very interesting discussion right now on the UA forum on the SIN routes as operated by UA and SQ. (because UA cancelled their LAX-SIN, added a second SFO-SIN and currently in the air, the new SQ22 A359-ULR, enroute from SIN-EWR). Fascinating discussion on who the customers are, what industries, corporate fares vs "rack rates" and who partners with whom. I've met some Canadian biz pax who fly SQ SFO-SIN and it is very interesting to hear why they do that route and their opinion of SQ compared to an AC offering from YVR.
I do a lot of travelling for work (my average month is about 2 weeks in Toronto, a week in either San Fran or NYC, and a week travelling elsewhere, mostly Vancouver, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore, London, or Dubai - it's hectic) so I've flown SQ SFO-SIN multiple times. Their J product is pretty good on the A350, but far inferior to their A380 F. When I'm going to Singapore and I have time, I prefer to fly CX F from SFO to HKG to SIN, as CX F is a far better product than SQ J, and I can accomplish things with clients in Hong Kong on a trip I'd be taking regardless to get to Singapore. An AC YVR-SIN flight would be really helpful when I'm in a time crunch to be in Singapore (coming from Toronto) and don't have time to go via HKG. I also prefer AC's new Signature Class over SQ's J. I'm sure I'll end up having to fly EWR-SIN sometime in the future when I'm in NYC and need to get to SIN but don't have time to stop in SFO. I don't look forward to it, but what can you really do.

Originally Posted by 24left

AC is not buying A359s when they spent all that money building their fleet with the B788s and B789s. IMHO.

Anyway, you asked some interesting questions. Thanks.
Makes sense, but it's unfortunate. YYZ to SYD direct would be a blessing and YVR to CPT direct would be an interesting route (and I do believe the only route from the west coast direct to South Africa)

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Any new long haul out of YYC is a non-starter unless market conditions change significantly, IMO.
I totally see where you are coming from but I'd disagree by saying that there are two large links between Calgary and China, the first being Oil & Gas business connections (which brings lots of premium passengers), and the second being the hordes of (often well off) Chinese tourists who flock to Banff. I think AC operating non-stop between YYC and any 2 of HKG/PVG/PEK with the 787 2-3 times weekly could be quite profitable.

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I could also see a seasonal YVR AKL for the tourist rush on Rouge, but they don't have an aircraft that could operate it.
ANZ flies YVR to AKL and they are *A so I can't see AC also taking that route, although a seasonal double up (where both ANZ and AC do the route) could make sense.

Last edited by MicSanToro; Oct 11, 2018 at 8:49 pm Reason: Added an additional reply to another commenter